MUMBAI: Transporters carrying Containers to and from Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) have called off their strike from Saturday night after an assurance from the four new transporters selected by the port authority not to proceed with their work till the Supreme Court decides on a petition brought by the striking truckers’ associations.
“The strike was called off from Saturday night,” said Pravin Paithankar, President of the Maharashtra Heavy Vehicle and Inter-State Container Operators’ Association, one of the agitating associations. “The four transporters have given an assurance not to ply their vehicles or proceed with the work till the Supreme Court decides on the matter,” Paithankar said.
“Tomorrow we are having a meeting with the Port Authorities for a solution to this problem and hopefully should arrive at an amicable solution acceptable to all,” added Paithankar.
After the Bombay High Court, citing Government policy, refused to intervene in a case brought by the association last year, it approached the Supreme Court for relief.
Separately, it is learnt that the four transporters have told JNPT that they will not be able to carry out their work till the issues are settled.